Useful Online Resources
Natural History, Identification and General Species Information
Great Blue Herons on Video
- HERONcam: Video clips with live footage available during the breeding season from the Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife.
- Junglewalk.com: Many video clips, audio clips, pictures and links. Choose "Heron" from the alphabetical listing.
Great Blue Heron Ecology: Research Groups, Management Reports and Online Journal Articles
- Washington Dept. Fish and Wildlife Priority Habitats and Species: Report - Management Recommendations for Washington's Priority Species, Volume IV: Birds – the Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias).
- Columbia Basin Fish and Wildlife Compensation Program: Report - Breeding Inventory and Habitat Assessment of the Great Blue Herons in the Columbia River Basin.
- The Heron Working Group. Simon Fraser University: A consortium of individuals from university, government and conservation organizations interested in the conservation of the Great Blue Heron. Includes a list of publications, natural history information and links to other sites.
- Centre for Wildlife Ecology at Simon Fraser University: Research includes responses of breeding herons to disturbance from humans and predators, and the long-term impact such disturbances will have on the productivity and distribution of heron breeding colonies in British Columbia.
- Canadian Wildlife Service Species at Risk: Report – Species at Risk: The Great Blue Heron.
- Great Blue Herons in British Columbia: Report - Standardizing and interpreting nesting records for Great Blue Herons in British Columbia fromthe Canadian Wildlife Service.
- Great Blue Herons in the Georgia Basin: Report – Great Blue Heron, an indicator of wildlife sustainability in the Georgia Basin from the Canadian Wildlife Servie.
- Breeding Bird Survey. USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
- Christmas Bird Count. Data for 2002. National Audubon Society
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park: Great Blue Heron survey and protocol for local monitoring efforts in Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
- Breeding Birds of the Platte River Valley, Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias): USGS Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center, Summary of a survey of a colony located on the Platte River with information on impact of habitat alteration on reproductive success.
- Audubon Canyon Ranch, California. North Bay Counties Heron and Egret Project: Conducts research on great blue heron colonies in the San Francisco Bay area.
- Wading Bird Monitoring, Isla Alcatraz Project, Prescott College: Summary of wading bird survey at Isla Alcatraz, California.
- The Elkhorn Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve: Summary of rookery monitoring at the Elkhorn Slough Rookery.
- US Fish and Wildlife Service. Arthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge: Monitors heron colony at the refuge.
Great Blue Heron Physiology: Research Groups and Online Journal Articles