Seattle Audubon’s Youth Membership is called The Rookery! The Rookery offers fun, meaningful opportunities for youth and their families who are interested in learning about and protecting birds and their habitats.
Rookery members receive:
- An official Rookery membership card
- An Activity Book full of games, outdoor activity ideas, coloring pages, and more!
- Special invitations to youth and family-friendly activities like family bird walks, story times, and service learning opportunities
Downloadable Resources and Activities:
Fledglings and Friends Story Time (ages 2-5), always hosted at The Nature Shop from 10:30-11:15am on the third Wednesday of the each month! (All Story Times are virtual and will not be held in The Nature Shop until further notice.)
- November 18: Fall Leaves (Watch the video)
- Craft materials: A collection of fall leaves, blank paper, glue, and a piece of brown construction paper.
- October 21: Owls (Watch the video!)
- Craft materials: Toilet paper tubes, construction paper, scissors, glue, and markers.
- September 16: Bird Beaks (Video will be posted when ready!)
- Craft materials: a sheet of cardstock or other thicker paper and coloring utensils
- August 19: Spiders (Watch the video!)
- Craft materials list: Egg carton, pipe cleaners, markers. Optional: googly eyes.)
- July 15: Camouflage (Watch the video!)
- Craft materials list: cardstock from a cereal box, paper bird cutouts in various colors, glue, and some found nature materials.
- June 17: Colorful Flowers (Watch the video!)
- Craft activity materials list: a couple of empty egg cartons, paint or markers, glue, a large piece of cardboard (sized at least 12in x12in,) and a piece of string.
- May 20: Bird Nests (Click here to watch the video!)
- Craft activity materials list: Brown paper lunch sack and a collection of found nesting materials from your yard or neighborhood. That's it!
- April 15: Fun At Home (It's virtual! Click here to watch the video!)
- At-home craft activities materials list
- Activity #1: Clear plastic food containers (like ones that berries come in), scissors, a collection of colorful Sharpies or other permanent markers, hole punch, and string/yarn.
- Activity #2: Standard-size paper grocery bags (with handles!), scissors, markers or paint, and a black Sharpie
Family Nature Walks at the Magnuson Children's Garden: (all ages with parent supervision) Scheduled on the last weekend of each month. Walk start times and meeting locations vary. Each walk focuses on a different theme, like beavers, bats, birds, aquatic insects, frogs, and more! (The May and June walks have been cancelled. Future walks are TBD.)
Neighborhood Bird Walks: Schedules and location vary. All Neighborhood Bird Walks are free, and welcome all ages. (All in-person neighborhood bird walks are on hiatus during the Stay Home Stay Safe order.)
Do you have a child who would be interested in joining the Rookery? All children of current Seattle Audubon members are automatically eligible for Rookery membership! Simply email our Member Services Associate and provide your child's name and birthdate. To renew your household membership, or to purchase a Rookery-only membership for just $10, click here.